Skip to main content

Sand, Sea, Shells and... a lot of buttons!

From crystal clear waters and sun-drenched beaches to a rather blustery day here at Inspired: Scilly HQ! My time in Scilly was simply magical and I am now in a bit of a time warp - did it really happen...?! It certainly feels like I've been to another world.

I'm pleased to report that there was much gathering of shells (watch this space for these swirls of natural colour and pattern finding their way into my work) and so much inspiration, I shall be busy writing it all down in my new notebook (which just happens to be illustrated with Scilly pictures - perfect). I was also delighted to discover a little craft fair that was on in the town hall on the day that I sadly had to leave and it cheered me up a bit buying, well, rather a lot of bargain buttons! I've just poured these into a big kilner jar and (rather sadly) I'm just rejoicing over the fact that they fill it up exactly! Of course, the idea is not to just gaze upon my gorgeously full stash of treasures but to use my Scilly finds in my next pieces of work. Expect to see shell hairpieces, 'buttoned-up' accessories and many more fishy finds!

To get started, here's my latest hair vine, adorned with shells, sparkling crystals and crystal pearls, all hand-woven with sumptuous sterling silver wire:


Watch this space for upcoming pieces of work inspired by my wonderful weeks away, snaps from my adventures and features on some of the places and things that I discovered on my travels!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Customise your own!

Inspired: Scilly have just introduced an exciting new element to their wire-knit range! Customers can now design their own wire-knit ring. Make your purchase as usual. You'll then be directed back to the same page where you fill in a form of choices. Choose the colour of the wire, seed beads and a focal/feature bead! Click here to have a look at the colour options on offer (we'll be expanding these in the near future). Some of our favourite ideas are a 'Be a Little Shellfish' ring to match the bracelet of the same name ( example pictured above ) or a Jetsam ring, again matching our Jetsam bracelet . Have fun getting creative!

Time flies!

Oops! I can't believe it's a year since I posted on this blog! I was just thinking about my holiday memories from this year's trip to Scilly and logged on to post a few pics only to find myself looking at those from last year... Still, it's great to be reminded of that holiday too! This year we were lucky enough to see the Red Arrows for the first time flying over the islands at the first Islands Regatta... Another first was seeing the new Pot Buoys Gallery (formerly the Bulb Shop) on St Agnes and getting to meet the lovely Emma who took over from Mandy Pearce. Emma has done an amazing job in revamping the shop into a gorgeous gallery and I'm very proud to have my jewellery there amongst so many talented artists and makers. Here are a few photos to give you a taste of the new gallery. So many gorgeous things to buy! My jewellery is hanging in the window in that lovely bauble! Emma is a very talented artist herself (you can buy her...

Scilly Crafts

We thought it was time we showed you a few of our favourite arty things. The first is this great new blog of handmade Scillonian work, some of which is available to purchase from the artists' websites. Check out http://www.phoenixcrafts.co.uk/blog.html and be dazzled by sparkling stained glass, stunning seascapes and perfect prints.