Skip to main content

Spring in Full Swing

At last, Spring is well and truly here and that means the start of a new season in Scilly is already underway. I am delighted to say that my jewellery is now available to purchase from The Bulb Shop on St Agnes with some of the same popular pieces as last year as well as a few new ones. More on that later, because right now I'm slightly distracted by the garden! Here's what's been popping up over recent weeks...

My Scilly scented narcissi have been a joy to behold as always. Every time I pass them in the garden, I can't resist taking in a good lung-full of their gorgeous scent!


Not sure of the variety of this beauty, possibly Scilly Valentine or Golden Dawn and almost certainly from Farmer Brown's Sunnyside Farm on St Mary's. I have often ducked into his bulb shed, sometimes to escape a downpour and happily picked out a few varieties for my garden while listening to the rain drumming on the roof. There are usually a couple of dusty plant books to peruse through and it always has that nice 'old shed' feel about it. Read more about Farmer Brown and all the different varieties of narcissi grown on the islands at Scilly Scented Narcissi.



The above are Paper Whites from The Bulb Shop on St Agnes where I am delighted to have my work on display for another year. Sadly for the rest of us, Mandy Pearce and her husband will be retiring at the end of this season but we wish them a very happy retirement!


I have a weakness for hellebores... I think you can see why!


A couple of different varieties of violets seem to have found their way into the garden and I'm thrilled to have them. My grandma was extremely fond of violets so they are a lovely reminder of her. 


Euphorbia - with a stunning contrast of lime and maroon flowers 
- one of my favourite colour combinations. 


Auriculas flowering now in April.


Fritillaria Camchatcensis - a bit of mouthful to pronounce and not strictly in flower yet (this is a photo from last Spring) but I await in anticipation! A truly seductive variety of Fritillary.

A few links for the keen gardeners amongst you...

Harrogate Flower Show - on from Thursday to Sunday this week (23rd-26th). http://www.flowershow.org.uk  https://twitter.com/harrogateflower #harrogateflowershow

Discover more about Scilly Scented Narcissi including a description of their sumptuous scents: http://bit.ly/1P5oW1M. Which is your favourite?

Our very own flower rings come in a choice of dahlias or roses and a great range of colours. Purchase from www.etsy.com/shop/inspiredscilly






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early for Xmas, Late for.. everything else!

Another horribly overdue post for this blog...! I guess I was reminded by the fact that I'm already busy making for Christmas craft fairs so, before I forget, here are the events we're going to be exhibiting at this year: 24th October - 23rd November:  Just Makers Christmas Crafts in the Bath House at RHS Harlow Carr. 18th - 19th November: York Christmas Fair at Skelton Garden Centre. 2nd December: Christmas Fair at Tithe Barn, Nether Poppleton, York. Our work also continues to be available at Just Makers in the Castle Courtyard at Ripley and at Pot Buoys Gallery on St Agnes, Isles of Scilly where our Christmas tree earrings will be a new addition this year. You can also purchase direct via www.etsy.com/shop/inspiredscilly or by messaging via Facebook at www.facebook.com/inspiredscilly .

The Alien has Landed!

It's not quite finished but here is my completely crazy felt creation (from a previous post entitled 'Is that an alien on your head'.. in hat form. I need some nice matching felt to go on the underside to finish it off but I'm quite pleased so far. Now to find someone who would wear it! That could be trickier!! My favourite bit has to be the 'dreads' (an unusual alternative to feathers I think you'll agree) and beads - I guess it all looks a bit like seaweed in the water. It's hard to make out from the pic but there are some lovely coral and blue sparkly threads in the middle. (materials courtesy of my Mum with blue sewing thread from www.alteredelement.co.uk )

Design Team Project!

Here's my first Design Team project for Altered Element! All the materials used came from www.alteredelement.co.uk . Gold and turquoise knitted-wire bracelet with handmade toggle clasp and a lovely blue shell-shaped bead to fasten. The colours remind me of the beach, golden sands and cool blue waters, but it also has a regal feel - a bit Egyptian or Aztec maybe?! This is made with 0.4mm wire and beads for both projects are from the 'Dress it Up' and 'Glass Naturals' collections. The tiara base was created by twisting 18 gauge wire, then wrapping this with 0.4mm gold wire (26 gauge) to create an uneven twisted base, to make it a bit more organic and 'fairytale'. Knitted into the tiara are gorgeous turquoise, gold and bronze beachy-coloured seed beads and shell-like beads and a bronze Vintaj bird charm. Lastly I added a lovely gold bow for the finishing touch!